Wednesday, September 10, 2014

"Bump" Day!

Yes Yes I know it's known as "hump" day because we are now 1/2 way through the work week but it's 3:45 in the morning and I'm having a bump day.  All because the one time I should have listened to my husband's advice I didn't.  If you are one of those people that choose to make "ONE" trip from the car with your packages, arms loaded and key's juggling to get to door - STOP!  I do have to say the packages probably wouldn't have been such a big deal but carrying bags, a matress pad and a VACUUM box just put things over the top. Literally.  Yup - you guessed it - I held onto the bags but the box dropped and so did I.  Leaving me tumbling over the box and scraping my knees.  Pathetically I was more worried that someone saw me tumble than the injury.  Soooo, here I sit with "road rash" and a BUMP.  I fessed up to the husband and took the lecture graciously.  He said he would save the "I told you so" for a later time. The ironic thing is he wanted to know more about why I bought a vacuum.  "Because the other one is a P.O.S!  Which led to - "so the one you bought was a waste?" I was thinking in my brain to reply with my sarcastic self "NO I just thought I'd start a collection" but I refrained. Sometimes not saying anything is better. Hard - but better.

So although I thought I wouldn't have time to post my Wednesday recipe -HERE YA GO!

With Rosh Hashanah Approaching - the Jewish New Year - I thought whether Jewish or not this would be a great recipe to try.  I have to be honest - I have not tried this but would love to know how it comes out if you make it before I do.

Cinnamon Apple Stuffed Challah

For an extra sweet Shabbat, and especially sweet Rosh HaShanah, this variation on
traditional challah adds some sweet apples to the dough just before braiding (or shaping into a round challah).

Ingredients:
1 envelope instant yeast
2 1/2 cups bread flour
1/2 cup warm water (100 degrees)
2 eggs for the dough and 1 egg for an egg wash
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon cinnamon for the dough and 1 teaspoon cinnamon for the apples
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup sugar for the dough and 1 teaspoon cinnamon for the apples
2 apples

Directions:

1. Whisk yeast and 1/2 cup of flour with warm water (100 degrees). Let it sit for 10
minutes until puffy.
2. Mix in two eggs, oil, vanilla, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/4 cup sugar and salt into the
yeast until all mixed.
3. Add the rest of the flour and mix with your hands into a ball.
4. Knead dough for about 10 minutes until smooth; add more water if it is tough or flour if it is sticky.
5. Put the dough in a clean and warm bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let it ferment
for one hour until puffy.
6. Peel and chop up your apples into bite sized pieces.
7. Once dough is ready, divide into three sections and roll each one out into a flat piece
on parchment paper. Sprinkle some apples at one end and roll up the long way making
sure to avoid air bubbles.
8. Repeat with other dough balls.
9. Braid strands starting in the middle, braiding each side and securing at the ends. Put
challah on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper.
10. Cover with plastic wrap and ferment another hour and a half until it is triple the
size.
11. Preheat oven to 350°F.
12. Wash challah with last egg and bake for 35 minutes until golden brown.
13. Serve with honey!

Amy Kritzer is a food writer and recipe developer in Austin, TX who enjoys cooking,
theme parties and cowboys. Her recipes have been featured on Bon Appetit, Daily Candy, The Today Show Blog and more. Source: http://www.reformjudaism.org/jewish-life/foodrecipes/cinnamon-apple-stuffed-challah

Just a side note for those that are not familiar with Rosh Hashanah.  Rosh Hashanah is the Jewish New Year and is most likely the only time you will see round Challah (Eggbread) sold at stores.  The round Challah, Apples and Honey are the tradion for this holiday.  Eating sweet food is to symbolize our hopes for a "Sweet New Year."
Honey represented good living and wealth.  On the first night of Rosh Hashanah, we dip challah into honey and say the blessing over the challah. Then we dip apple slices into honey and say a prayer asking God for a sweet year. After apples and honey, round loaves of challah are the most recognizable food symbol of Rosh HaShanah. Challah is a kind of braided egg bread that is traditionally served by Jews on Shabbat. During Rosh HaShanah, however, the loaves are shaped into spirals or rounds symbolizing the continuity of Creation. 

So there's the reason why.  I am Jewish and My husband is Catholic -so I will share some interesting facts at times that may explain traditions and why they happen -

I hope whether Jewish or not that I hear back about the recipe.  Hope you all enjoy!

Don't forget:

Quilters: Moda Love Blog Hop

TV Alerts:
September 17 starts a new show that looks great with Debra Messing a "Dramedy" (comedy/drama) - "The Mysteries of Laura"  (NBC)

September 22 - "The Black List" returns; is Reddington Liz's Dad??????  (NBC)

October 2 - another new show- looks cute...  "Bad Judge"  (NBC)

NBC Fall Previews - NBC Fall Previews

October 27 - "Two Broke Girls"  A Bit late.....but worth the wait.

September 22 - "The Big Bang Theory"  (CBS)

September 26 - "Blue Bloods" (CBS)

unknown premier date - Mike and Molly (CBS)

September 29 - "Mom" (CBS)

September 25 - "Scandal" Favorite Show for ME!!!

September 28 - Revenge  2nd Favorite

These are the shows I Love.

Well back to a quick nap before waking up to head to "Chattanooga"  at least my bump allowed me to post more info.

Happy BumpDay!








No comments:

Post a Comment

Wahoo Fall is here!!!

Well Summer went out like a Lion!  The heat, humidity and hurricanes.  GOOD RIDDENS! Have you watched any of the new Fall shows?  My favor...